Tony La Russa, Tim Anderson ejected as White Sox voice frustration to umpires


(670 The Score) For the first time in nearly a decade, White Sox manager Tony La Russa got the boot Friday night. Shortly after, star shortstop Tim Anderson followed suit.

La Russa was ejected in the bottom of the seventh inning of Chicago’s eventual 7-1 loss at Milwaukee after expressing displeasure to home-plate umpire John Libka over ball-and-strike calls. La Russa exited the dugout and headed to the mound after White Sox reliever Ryan Burr walked Brewers first baseman Rowdy Tellez to force in a run that gave Milwaukee a 3-0 lead. Instead of addressing his players who gathered on the mound, La Russa shared heated words for second-base umpire Dan Iassogna and then Libka, who listened for a few moments before tossing La Russa.

It marked the first time in his current stint as White Sox manager that La Russa was ejected. His last ejection came on Aug. 10, 2011 when he managed the Cardinals, according to the NBC Sports Chicago broadcast. La Russa retired after the 2011 season and then returned to the dugout when the White Sox hired him last October.

Click here to get your White Sox tickets

La Russa was upset by a couple borderline pitches to Brewers third baseman Luis Urias earlier in the inning that were called balls. The called ball four to Urias seemed to clip the top of the zone for a strike, according to replays on the television broadcast. Afterward, La Russa explained that he thought Urias was ducking on the pitches to make the zone smaller, but he placed no other blame on the umpires.

"We play against the other team," La Russa said. "We do not play against the umpires. They have a very difficult job."

The Brewers scored six times in the frame to stretch their lead to 7-0 by the end of the seventh inning. In the top of the eighth inning, Anderson was ejected as well while he was in the White Sox's dugout. He too appeared to be upset with the strike zone and proclaimed to Libka, "You've been terrible all night," according to reporter Adam McCalvy.