A T.J. Watt contract extension was expected to be announced late last week, but the weekend came and went and still no new deal.
With that said, Coach Mike Tomlin said during this first press conference of the season Tuesday that he "is proceeding with the assumption that he is working tomorrow."
Tomlin is also optimistic that a deal will still get done before the first game, when the Steelers traditionally shut down any negotiations during the season.
NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala, who also joins the PM Team every Monday from 4 to 5 p.m., says that the Steelers sticking to the tradition of not offering guaranteed money beyond the first year of a contract are, "threatening to sink these TJ Watt negotiations."
Sources that Kinkhabwala spoke week had her under the impression that a contract was close to getting done, but after speaking with the same people, it sounds like an extension is now further away.
Kinkhabwala also adds the lack of guaranteed money beyond the first year of a contract were also what prevented Le'Veon Bell from signing an extension.
"Times change. But (up until now), the way the Steelers structure deals do not," said Kinkhabwala.






