Whether your family tree includes Irish roots or not, indulging in delicious St. Patrick’s Day treats like savory corned beef and sugary shamrock shakes are the best.
But what if we said you could enjoy the same tasty treats for a fraction of the calories? To inspire your St. Patty’s Day festivities, we reached out to our friends at Virtua Health to provide healthy twists on some holiday favs.
Swap the chips for potatoes and devour this Irish-inspired take on traditional nachos.
· 2 pounds of Yukon potatoes
· 1 ½ cups of reduced fat cheddar cheese
· 3 slices of turkey bacon
· Olive oil (for drizzle)
· ½ cups of unflavored Greek yogurt
· 3 green onions
· 1 cup of pico de gallo
· 2 teaspoons of salt
· 2 teaspoons of pepper
· 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
· 2 teaspoons of rosemary
· Preheat oven to 400 degrees
· Begin by washing and slicing potatoes. Leave skin on for an extra crispy texture!
· After potatoes are sliced, spread onto a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and then salt, pepper, garlic powder, and rosemary.
· Bake for 20 minutes and the flip the potatoes and bake for another 10. While they are baking cook the turkey bacon according to packaging instructions
· Once they are out of the oven, add cheese, turkey bacon bits, green onions, pico, and Greek yogurt.
· Mix all together and enjoy!
Before the party begins, say “top o’ the morning” to these delicious and unique eggs. Might we suggest pairing them with a side of ham?
· 2 eggs
· 4 oz. of pesto sauce
· Goat cheese
· Whole wheat bread
· Pinch of salt
· Pinch of pepper
· Pinch of garlic powder
· Begin by placing pesto in a frying pan. Spread it around to lightly coat the pan with it.
· Crack two eggs in the pan on top of the pesto. Fry these until they are golden brown and the yolks are runny.
· While the eggs are cooking, toast your whole wheat broad! Once crispy spread a thin layer of cheese on top.
· Once eggs are cooked, remove from pan and add on top of the toast and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Healthy Color Changing Cookies
Have you ever seen a color changing cookie? These cookies are the perfect treat for your St. Patrick’s Day celebration because once they’re baked, their insides will turn bright green!
· 1 cup of sugar free sun butter (this is what turns them green!)
· ½ cup of maple syrup
· 1 egg
· 1 teaspoon of baking soda
· ½ cup of flour (or coconut flour pending allergies)
· Fresh sea salt
· Chocolate chips
· Begin with combining all of the wet ingredients (sun butter, syrup, and egg) into one bowl and all of the dry ingredients (baking soda and flour) into another.
· Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients to make the dough. Add chocolate chips.
· Refrigerate for 2 hours to let it settle and allow the sun butter to seep into the mixture.
· Preheat the oven to 350.
· Once preheated, scoop the dough into cookie balls and bake for 12-14 minutes. Sprinkle sea salt on top.
· Break them open to see their green center and enjoy!
For more healthy and delicious recipes for any occasion, check these out!
Follow Philly’s B101.1
TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK | TIKTOK
Follow Virtua Health
TWITTER | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM