Skip to content

Condition: Post with Page_List

Listen
Search
Please enter at least 3 characters.

Latest Stories

Driver who tried to run over teens in Santa Ana gets year in jail

gavel
Getty Images

A 40-year-old man pleaded guilty Tuesday and was immediately sentenced to a year in jail for attempting to run over two teenage boys in Santa Ana.

Want to get caught up on what's happening in SoCal every weekday afternoon? Click to follow The L.A. Local wherever you get podcasts.


Nicolas M. Sanudo pleaded guilty to two counts of assault with force likely to produce great bodily injury, two counts of vandalism and leading police on a chase, all felonies, as well as single misdemeanor counts of hit- and-run with property damage and resisting arrest.

He was scheduled to report to jail Aug. 30 to begin serving his 364- day sentence, and he was given credit for 14 days behind bars so far.

As part of the plea deal he reached with prosecutors, two felony counts of assault with a deadly weapon were dismissed.

Police were called about 4:40 p.m. Feb. 21, 2023, about the driver of a passenger van attempting to run over pedestrians at MacArthur Intermediate School, police said. According to the criminal complaint, the victims were boys aged 13 and 14.

When responding officers attempted to stop the driver, he led them on a chase that ended when he careened into a water channel at 3000 S. Flower St., causing the van to roll over and catch fire. The suspect tried to run away, but he was quickly found in a drainage tunnel, police said.

Follow KNX News 97.1 FM
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | TikTok