Plano woman who killed her infant remains in state hospital


COLLIN COUNTY (1080 KRLD)- A Collin County district court judge has decided that a Plano woman who killed her infant son 16-years ago has to remain in a state hospital.

Dena Schlosser, who now uses her maiden name Dena Leitner was committed after she was found insane for the November 2004 death of 11 month old Margaret Schlosser.

Leitner stunned the Metroplex when she, first cut off her infant’s arms, then let the baby bleed to death.  During a commitment hearing, Plano Police officer David Tilley recalled the moment he became the first officer on the scene.  He said Leitner hid a knife in her clothing as she answered the door.  Moments later he discovered the baby in her crib, with both arms amputated.

“She had an ashen, gray look.  There were no arms and there was a lot of blood,” Tilley said.

Leitner was calm and singing religious hymns, Tilley said.

Leitner was found insane and has been in state run mental hospitals for most of the last 16-years.

The religious theme was raised several times during the commitment hearing, as a default that Leitner resorts to when she is off the current dose of bipolar medication.

Dr. Maranda Upton, a psychiatrist who was sitting next to Leitner at the hearing, felt Leitner could be released from state custody and live in a home as an outpatient.  But Upton also revealed that Leitner was recently found to have a previously undiagnosed personality disorder.  The disordere, Upton said, makes it hard for Leitner to appreciate the gravity of some situations.

Judge Andrea Thompson wondered why it took 16 years to discover the disorder.

The state had an expert of its own who feels Leitner would not be a good candidate for Outpatient release, particularly after she had failed in two prior attempts.

Dr. Kyle Clayton said Leitner “is not appropriate for release.”  He said there was an instance of Leitner receiving an improper dosage of her medicine while on release in 2009.  She did not appreciate the mistake, said Clayton.  Leitner was found walking down the middle of a road, screaming and singing religious songs in the wee hours of the morning.

Clayton went on to say social workers had documented other cases of Leitner “decompensating and experiencing religious delusions.

Even while on an appropriate dose of medication, Clayton said Leitner had religious delusions.  However he said so long as Leitner was confined to a state hospital she has a staff around her who can administer the appropriate care.

At the conclusion of the hearing, Thompson ruled that Leitner’s release would not be appropriate and ordered her to stay in the State’s care.​