In Philadelphia, protesters hit the streets for fifth straight day

Protests in Philadelphia
Photo credit Antionette Lee/KYW Newsradio
PHILADELPHIA (KYW Newsradio)  A large group of protesters gathered Wednesday in Philadelphia to continue demonstrating for a fifth straight day. 

The statue of Former Mayor Frank Rizzo was removed by the city in the middle of the night  — on Saturday, the first day of the protests, demonstrators had set the base of the statue on fire. 

Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison also announced Wednesday afternoon aiding and abetting murder charges against former officers Thomas Lane, J. Alexander Kueng and Tou Thao in the death of George Floyd, while increasing the charge against Officer Derek Chauvin from third to second-degree murder.

Hundreds marched peacefully from the where the Rizzo statue once stood in front of the Municipal Services Building around City Hall and down Broad Street, with signs reading statements like “Black Lives Matter” and “Justice for Floyd.”  

“We need to end violence against black lives, black communities, communities of color in general,” said protester Brian Jordan said.

Protests still going strong in #Philly Thousands coming around City Hall now. @KYWNewsradio #GeorgeFloyd

— Antionette Lee (@arleeonair) June 3, 2020

Many like Jordan say the recent changes that took place on Wednesday were a great step in the right direction, but it's not enough.

“I think that's a wonderful first step in Minneapolis right now, but I think we need broader systemic reforms, and there's so many others — Breonna Taylor, we need justice for her. We could get retroactive justice for Eric Garner, for Philando Castile, for so many others” he said. 

The protest ended with a prayer in the evening. 

Now praying

— Antionette Lee (@arleeonair) June 3, 2020

Organizers have plans to meet for another day of marching on Thursday at the Art Museum.

A citywide curfew has been put into effect again from 6 p.m. Wednesday until 6 a.m. Thursday.