SOUTH JERSEY (KYW Newsradio) — New Jersey election officials said thousands of noncitizens have been officially purged from the state’s voter rolls, after it was revealed last month they were improperly registered.
Gov. Mikie Sherrill announced on July 21 that 6,600 noncitizens had been registered due to a software error at the Motor Vehicle Commission, though about 340 actually voted.
Approximately 5,100 of those voters were deleted from the system. 1,400 people were entered as rejected to prevent them from voting, pending additional review by county elections officials.
Sherrill said about 220 of the people who did vote may be eligible voters. County officials will determine their eligibility to prevent disenfranchisement.
The state investigation into how this happened is ongoing. Sherrill said in a statement, “I am grateful to everyone who has been working around the clock on remediation efforts and reviewing our records with a fine-toothed comb, to preserve the integrity of our voter rolls, and ensure that our elections remain free and fair.”
In a post on X, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin said New Jersey officials will also cooperate with a federal investigation. Sherrill didn’t confirm that, instead saying the Trump administration’s only interest has been to use the issue for political gain.
Gov. Mikie Sherrill had revealed last month that around 6,600 noncitizens were illegally registered through an MVC software error
Gov. Mikie Sherrill had revealed last month that around 6,600 noncitizens were illegally registered through an MVC software error





