Woman with dementia hands out medication with Halloween candy

Halloween candy
Photo credit (Getty Images)
By , NewsRadio 1120 KMOX

A warning was sent out in southeast Missouri about a woman who accidentally gave some children her medication for Halloween.

The Stoddard County Prosecuting Office said parents of Puxico, Missouri – a town of about 800 people – should inspect their children's candy if they went trick-or-treating on Friday night. They say an elderly woman who has dementia had some over-the-counter medication like Nyquil in her candy bowl for kids.

Podcast Episode
Sports Daily
Halloween Candy, what is your favorite?
Listen Now
Now Playing
Now Playing

"Please check your children's candy bag throughly," the warning stated.

It appears this case was just an accident, but some parents may have been a bit on edge this year after warnings in multiple states about marijuana edibles getting purposely snuck into candy bowls.

Attorneys general in Ohio, New York, Illinois, Connecticut and Arkansas released statements before Halloween to advise parents about the dangers of candy made with tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the main compound found in marijuana.

LISTEN on the Audacy App
Sign Up and Follow Audacy
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Featured Image Photo Credit: (Getty Images)