As Halloween approaches, vet says ‘never’ leave pets in costumes unattended

As Halloween approaches, vet says ‘never’ leave pets in costume unattended
Photo credit Getty Images

CHICAGO (WBBM NEWSRADIO) — A Chicago vet gave some tips on how to keep your pets safe during Halloween celebrations.

Kids aren't the only ones who get into mischief on Halloween. Lit pumpkins, decorations, costumes and candy can all pose risks to pets around the holiday.

"Never leave your pet in a costume unattended, just in case they feel like going after the costume and ripping off certain parts of it and swallowing said parts of the costume,” Dr. Micah Tryba, a veterinarian at West Loop Veterinary Care, told WBBM Newsradio.

She said there's no hard and fast rules on how much chocolate can be toxic to dogs because it varies case by case.

Tryba's advice is to call an emergency vet hospital for specific guidance if your pet gets into some candy.

She also said any costumes you dress your pet in should not restrict their movement or have small parts that could easily be chewed off. She said pets should always be supervised when dressed up so they don't get hurt.