Skip to content

Condition: Post with Page_List

Listen
Search
Please enter at least 3 characters.

Latest Stories

City of Buffalo orders Del Denby Tavern to cease operations following Tuesday's fatal shooting

Buffalo Police continues to investigate the fatal shooting on Hertel Avenue

Cease All Operations notice for Del Denby Tavern
Buffalo, N.Y. - A Cease All Operations notice posted on the door of Del Denby Tavern on Hertel Avenue on Tuesday following the fatal shooting of a 46-year-old man overnight.
City of Buffalo

Buffalo, N.Y. (WBEN) - The City of Buffalo and Buffalo Police have ordered Del Denby Tavern on Hertel Avenue to cease operations immediately as a result of a preservation of peace and good order following a fatal shooting took place on their outdoor patio early Tuesday morning.

Buffalo Police Chief of Detectives Craig Macy said Tuesday the Del Denby has been the scene of past calls to police for incidents such as fights, shots fired, and even a recent shooting dating back to 2021.


In the early morning hours Tuesday at around 1:11 a.m. ET, officers from the Northwest District responded to the scene, where 46-year-old Madjid Elbert of Buffalo was shot during a fight on the outdoor patio. Elbert was seen having drinks earlier in the evening with another individual that, police say, was known to him.

Elbert was transported to Erie County Medical Center, where he was later pronounced dead as the result of one gunshot wound.

Police believe this was not just a random act of violence.

The investigation into the incident continues, and police have yet to make any arrests related to this shooting.

Chief Macy says investigators continue to look into the whole aspect of the incident, including what happened just prior to the altercation that resulted in the man being shot.

Police are asking anyone with information to call or text the Tip Line at (716)-847-2255.

Buffalo Police continues to investigate the fatal shooting on Hertel Avenue