Buffalo, N.Y. (WGR Sports Radio 550/WBEN/AP) - The Buffalo Sabres announced on Wednesday the signing of head coach Lindy Ruff to a two-year contract extension. Ruff was working this past season on the final year of his current contract with the team.
Ruff led the Sabres to the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first time in 15 years this season, taking the team to Game 7 of the second round against the Montreal Canadiens.
Before Buffalo went on its historic run starting on Dec. 9, they were in last place in the Eastern Conference. From that point on, they were the best team in the NHL, going 39-9-5. That finished helped the Sabres to a second-place finish in the conference, and first place in the Atlantic Division.
Buffalo then beat the Boston Bruins in the first round of the playoffs in six games, before losing to Montreal in overtime of Game 7.
Ruff has also been named a 2026 finalist for the Jack Adams Award for Coach of the Year in the NHL. He won that award in 2006 during his first tenure as head coach of the Sabres.
This year’s team reached the 50 wins mark for only the third time in franchise history.
“It’s great to be here in a sense that I’m going to continue, and I’m humbled again by the opportunity,” Ruff said.
“The energy that our fans brought, the energy in the city, where we got to in the second half of the year, excited me,” he added. “I can tell you that I was proud of the way (the players) handled it for a group that has never been there before.”
In this year’s playoffs, it seemed like every move Ruff made to his roster was the right one. That included inserting Noah Ostlund, Konsta Helenius, Luke Schenn and Zach Metsa into the lineup at different points of the postseason. He also had to make tough decisions on goalies, which, again, usually worked out.
Entering the 2026-27 season, his 26th season as a head coach in the league, Ruff is fourth all-time in wins (950) among coaches, trailing only Paul Maurice (956 - active), Joel Quenneville (1,012 - active) and Scotty Bowman (1,244).
“Extending Lindy, a no-brainer,” general manager Jarmo Kekalainen said.
“Real proud of the whole group and what we went through, how much we learned,” he added. “I can’t emphasize enough how excited I am about the future of this group and the potential we have.”
Ruff's long-time history in Buffalo
Ruff’s first coaching stint in Buffalo spanned 15 seasons, which included a six-game loss to Dallas in the 1999 Stanley Cup Final, and ended when he was fired two months into the 2013 campaign. He was brought back after head-coaching stops in Dallas and New Jersey.
With an overall career coaching record of 950-741-169 and 78 ties, Ruff ranks fourth on the NHL list in wins, second in losses and fourth in games coached. With a Sabres record of 657-494-100 with 78 ties, he’s second on the list in wins and games coached with one franchise.
This year was among Ruff’s finest seasons, and came a year after he vowed to improve upon last year’s finish of 36-39-7, which included an 0-10-3 skid spanning November and December.
Sabres surge up the standings
This time, the Sabres caught fire in early December and went 39-9-5 over their final 53 games to vault from last in the Eastern Conference standings to finish second. Buffalo’s 50 wins and 109 points were the Sabres’ most since the Ruff-coached team in 2006-07 won a franchise-record 53 games and matched a team record with 113 points.
Ruff credited this year’s turnaround to the team getting healthier and captain Rasmus Dahlin’s presence — the defenseman spent the first two months of the season dealing with his fiancée recovering from heart transplant surgery in Europe.
Also factoring into the surge was Kekalainen taking over as GM to replace Kevyn Adams, who was fired in mid-December. Kekalainen’s presence restored a level of confidence in the players by instilling belief the franchise had a clearer vision to succeed.
Though Kekalainen initially backed Ruff upon taking over, he provided no assurances regarding the coach’s future beyond this season. The two, who had never previously worked together, eventually built a mutual bond of trust and respect.
“I’ve really enjoyed working with Lindy. I’ve enjoyed his sense of humor, his experience, his passion for the game, his details and how he’s still involved as a coach,” Kekalainen said. “He’s not a spring chicken anymore, but he’s a student of the game. I view it the same way. I feel like I’ve got to be a better general manager.”
Looking ahead to the offseason
Without going into detail, Kekalainen said he intends to make changes to his front-office staff.
As for player personnel decisions, he called it a priority to sign restricted free agent defenseman Bowen Byram to a long-term contract.
Kekalainen was less definitive regarding the status of forward Alex Tuch, who is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent. In calling Tuch “a valuable part of our team,” the GM said the two sides have yet to come to an agreement.
Kekalainen revealed defenseman Owen Power finished the playoffs despite a Grade 3 sprain to his right ankle. He also said center Sam Carrick returned too soon from a left arm injury, in appearing in just one game
Ruff said he doesn’t anticipate any changes to his staff due to the bond the group has developed since his return.
Ruff returns behind the bench after a long playoff run in 2026
Ruff returns behind the bench after a long playoff run in 2026





