Skip to content

Condition: Post with Page_List

Listen
Search
Please enter at least 3 characters.

Latest Stories

Local parishioners torn on Buffalo Diocese's recommended mergers, closures of parishes across Western New York

Parishes have until July 15 to make a counter proposal or accept the recommendations from the Buffalo Catholic Diocese

Woman praying at church
Getty Images

Buffalo, N.Y. (WBEN) - As the Buffalo Catholic Diocese continues is "reshaping" plan over the course of the next several weeks, there is plenty of mixed emotions from local parishioners about the merger and closure of nearly 80 parishes across Western New York.

Leaders from the Buffalo Diocese have met with a number of parish families over the last week-plus with closure and merger recommendations for each region. Parishes have until July 15 to make a counter proposal or accept the recommendations.


The full list of churches that will either close or merge with another parish will be finalized by Sept. 1.

Local parishioner Teri Donner from Clarence is among those that have been following the developments of the Diocese's recommendations very closely.

"I have been a parishioner at my church for 46 years, and I see the whole thing through my own eyes with some sadness," said Donner in an interview with WBEN. "I also understand that drastic measures somehow needed to be taken, so I think we all need to be prayerful and try to be patient. I do think, though, we should express our own concerns within our own parish families so that this can be relayed to the Diocese, at whole."

Mary Anne from Williamsville has been a parishioner at St. Gregory the Great for several years, and she can't help but feel sorry for those who are affected by these recommended closures.

"I know [the Diocese is] in financial difficulties, and we have to close some parishes. I've been a parishioner here, and this is, I think, the largest parish [in the family]. I just feel for all the parishes that have to consolidate or go to other parishes. It's going to take some time for everyone to get used to things," said Mary Anne with WBEN.

Meanwhile, Sandy from Clarence is among the group of people locally left frustrated and angry by the Diocese and their recommendations and other prior decisions that have led to this.

"I think it's crazy that we just can't let priests get married, and can't let women become priests so we can try to save the Catholic Church. I think people are leaving the church in scores, I know I am. I'm now going to a Methodist Church, and I'm a lifelong Catholic," said Sandy with WBEN. "So I find it extremely frustrating, and I think the plan is going to destroy the communities that are surrounding the churches."

Sandy says she is one of those parishioners who is personally affected by the recommended closures or merger, as her church, Our Lady of Peace, has been recommended to merge with Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Donner also feels for those losing their parish as part of these recommended closures and mergers. The parish she grew up in is another one of the churches that is likely to close as part of the Diocese's plans.

"I think we have to remember as Catholics that we go to church for different reasons. To praise God, to receive the Eucharist. And we're gonna find community wherever we go. I think that it's up to each of us to try and make that happen," Donner said.

So are local parishioners confident in the Buffalo Diocese's "reshaping" plan to try and consolidate the number of parishes and strengthen the Catholic community in that way? Donner admits she'd like to have more confidence going forward.

"I think right now, there's a lot of confusion, a lot of misunderstanding, a lot of hurt. And it's going to take some time to sort all of this out," she said.

Mary Anne feels it was only a matter of time before the Diocese was forced to make a decision like this to consolidate.

"I still hope some will be able to keep open, not as many cuts, as they say. I'm still hoping there will be a way to keep some of them open," Mary Anne said.

As for Sandy, she calls the Diocese's plan ridiculous.

"When you talk about closing a church like Our Lady of Peace with multiple buildings, lots of property, who's gonna buy that property? What other organization in Western New York is going to come and take a school, a church, all of the buildings that are associated with it? It's very upsetting," Sandy said. "And then to think that that money is going to be used to settle the sexual abuse scandal cases is really upsetting."

Bishop Fisher released the following statement on the recommendations for parish mergers and closures this past Friday:

"Over the past two weeks, we have met with parish leadership groups to explain in detail our recommendations for parish mergers. These recommendations put forth - backed by the data supplied by parishes - as well as future projections, illustrate our best faith effort to provide a plan that will ultimately strengthen the Catholic Church in Western New York.

"I understand these parish and worship site recommendations are difficult for many, as churches that have been home to generations of the faithful unfortunately have to merge and close for the future viability and vibrancy of our parishes and the diocese as a whole. Our effort to renew the diocese was hastened as we continue to work to satisfy the requirements of our Chapter 11 reorganization process.

"We look forward over the next month to continue the dialogue with our parish leaders to decide on what is best for the diocese, and the faithful, moving forward. As always, you remain in my prayers, especially in light of this transformational time in our history."

Parishes have until July 15 to make a counter proposal or accept the recommendations from the Buffalo Catholic Diocese