HARTFORD, Conn (WCBS 880) -- The first round of Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont’s ‘Back to Work’ $1,000 payments are going out this week.
Connecticut is offering up to 10,000 long-term unemployed residents a $1,000 signing bonus if they get a job and keep it for two months.
The first round of checks will be going into the mailboxes of 1,500 people, Lamont says.
About $10 million has been allotted for the program, which is being supported by the state’s COVID-19 relief fund.
The program is running through the end of the year.
“This one-time bonus payment will help some of those workers pay for the critical things they need to get back to work, including childcare. This is the latest tool in our toolbox to maximize our state’s recovery from the pandemic,” said Lamont.
Some lawmakers have been opposed to the plan since its outset, calling it a bribe.
The state’s latest job figures show an unemployment rate of 7.3%, and a gain in jobs of nearly 10,000 last month, according to the state’s Department of Labor.
In order to be eligible to the program, you must be a Connecticut resident who:
- Filed an unemployment compensation weekly claim with the state for the week May 23-29, 2021
- Filed an unemployment compensation weekly claim with the state for 11 additional weeks between Dec. 27, 2020, and May 22, 2021
- Obtain and maintain a full-time job for eight consecutive weeks between May 30 and Dec. 31, 2021
- Not file an unemployment compensation weekly claim with the state for any portion of the required eight consecutive weeks of employment.
If eligible, workers can submit an applications on the state's website.