Detroit man faces felony charges for fleeing police on Southfield Freeway, causing fatal crash after going airborne
DETROIT (WWJ) – A Detroit man is facing charges for allegedly causing a deadly crash while fleeing police on the Southfield Freeway last week.
Amir Napper, 20, was arraigned last Thursday on multiple charges, including reckless driving causing death, for the Dec. 11 crash that killed 59-year-old Eric Miller of Detroit.
On Monday during a bond redetermination hearing Napper's bond was set at $100,000 / 10%. If released, Napper will be placed on house arrest and ordered to wear a GPS tether.
The charges stem from a crash last Monday night on the southbound Southfield Freeway near Schoolcraft Road in Detroit.
Around 9:15 p.m. that night Michigan State Police troopers spotted Napper speeding in the area and tried to pull him over. But he allegedly continued to speed away, and troopers gave chase.
MSP officials said last week during the pursuit Napper tried to exit the freeway at Schoolcraft and hit the gore of the exit ramp, going airborne. His Infiniti came down on top of a Miller's car on the Southfield Service Drive, officials said.
Napper's car rolled over and landed on the roof. He escaped with minor injuries, while Miller was pronounced dead at the scene.
Napper has been charged with first-degree fleeing, reckless driving causing death, driving with a suspended license causing death and carrying a concealed weapon. His next court date is scheduled for Thursday.
More on today's top stories:
















