Inkster mom charged with attempted murder, accused of cutting her young children's necks

Sara Boles appears for an arraignment
Sara Boles appears for an arraignment. Photo credit 22nd District Court

INKSTER (WWJ) – Charges have been filed against the Inkster mother who is accused of trying to kill her two young children on New Year's Day.

The Wayne County Prosecutor's Office has authorities two counts of assault with intent to murder and two counts of first-degree child abuse against 36-year old Sara Boles, after her kids were found wounded last Saturday morning.

Boles is also charged with resisting arrest after she struggled with police officers who forced their way into the family's home home on Grandview Street after hearing one of the children crying.

Investigators said Boles used a knife, found by officers in the bathtub, to cut her 1-year-old son's and 3-year-old daughter's necks. She was kneeling over the children in a bathroom when police arrived.

Assistant Inkster Police Chief Bill Ratliff told WWJ that someone called 911 early Saturday, requesting a welfare check on the children at the home.

After kicking in the door, police said a woman, later identified as Boles, who “began to struggle with them.”

The officers took Boles into custody and that’s when they noticed the children who both had “severe injuries to their throat and neck areas,” Ratliff said.

Ratliff said the boy wasn’t breathing when the officers found him, but they were able to save him with CPR.

Live On-Air
Ask Your Smart Speaker to Play W W J Newsradio 9 50
WWJ Newsradio 950
Listen Now
Now Playing
Now Playing

Both kids were said to be in critical condition on Saturday, but police had not provided an update on their conditions as of Tuesday morning.

Ratliff said police did the right thing when they broke in.

“If it were not for the actions of the two police officers that arrived here this morning and really worked diligently to determine the root of this call, what exactly it was about – had they not done that, had they just left after no contact at the door, this story would be very different tonight. We’d be talking about two dead children," said Ratliff.

Bowles was arraigned Tuesday via video in 22nd District Court. A not guilty plea was entered on her behalf and bond was set at $100,000 cash. She will be back in court for a probable cause conference on Jan. 12.