State lawmakers to look into deadly fire and explosions in Clinton Township

Clinton Twp fire
Bystanders viewed the massive fire from up to miles away. Photo credit Preston Hoffman of Pro-tech Graphics

CLINTON TWP (WWJ) -- State lawmakers are joining the investigation into last week's fire and series of explosions that killed a teenage bystander in Clinton Township.

Township officials will be out again on Monday assessing the situation at Goo and Select Distributors — the site of the explosions that sent containers of butane and nitric oxide flying through the air the night of March 4.

WWJ's Charlie Langton said authorities have not yet been able to complete their investigation into what caused the massive fire, as there are still hotspots on the property, at 15 Mile Road and Groesbeck.

Coming soon: State Representative Joe Aragon, a Republican who represents Clinton Township just to the north of the explosions, says lawmakers in Lansing will be looking into this case.

He told Langton, specifically, lawmakers are considering additional safety measures moving forward.

"We can look at — and we're kind of going to wait until the investigations are over before we had full long into this — but what we can kind of take a look at is requiring businesses to report which type of chemicals (they have on site), where they are, that type of thing," Aragon said.

"And then also make sure we have some, you know, proper contact information as well as some inspections," he added. "Those are all different aspects that we are looking at. But, like I said, we don't wanna have a kneejerk reaction. We're gonna wait for the investigation and then start taking a look at that."

Langton reports that some officials have hinted that the Macomb County Prosecutor or the Michigan Attorney General may be looking into this case as well, regarding potential criminal charges.

This comes after a funeral was held Friday for 19-year-old Turner Salter, who was the only person to die as a result of this incident. Police said the young man had stopped at a car wash about 1/4 mile away from the fires to watch, when he was hit on the head by a piece of flying canister.

While debris is still being cleaned up in about a three-mile radius from the scene of the explosions, the public is warned not to touch these cannisters, as they may be dangerous.

[People continue to pick up canisters from site of Clinton Township fire, despite warnings they could explode]

Township officials say any homeowners or business owners who have property damage should fill out a form. A link can be found at the top of the Clinton Township website. More safety information and updates for area residents can be found at this link.

Featured Image Photo Credit: Preston Hoffman of Pro-tech Graphics