(WWJ) -- A 15-year-old boy has been charged with attempting to sexually assault a woman in a public restroom in Plymouth last month.
The teen, whose name has not been released, is not being charged as an adult defendant. He has been adult designated, according to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office, meaning the judge will have the option of sentencing the respondent as a juvenile, or as an adult.
The judge will also have the option to fashion a blended juvenile sentence with the option of imposing an adult sentence if the juvenile is not rehabilitated, the prosecutor’s office said.
The charges stem from an alleged attack on a 29-year-old woman in the women’s restroom in the Comfort Station at the Plymouth Gathering Pavilion on Oct. 30.
Authorities say the teen entered the restroom around 6:30 p.m. that night and hid in a stall until the victim entered the restroom around 7 p.m.
When the woman exited her stall, prosecutors say the teen pushed her back into the stall, locked the door and attempted to sexually assault her.
The woman was able to fight off her attacker, who was seen on surveillance video fleeing from the restroom.
Authorities have said the teen is not from Plymouth, but have not said where he is from.
The juvenile respondent has been charged with one count of assault with intent to commit sexual penetration and one count of kidnapping.
He was remanded to the Juvenile Detention Center during a preliminary hearing on Wednesday. He is due back in court for a preliminary exam on Dec. 6.