Poll: 40% of parents hope kids are 'rich and childless,' but here's what the other 60% think

Family
Photo credit Getty Images

Whether it was the Beatles singing “money can’t buy me love” in the 60s or the Notorious B.I.G. and P. Diddy lamenting that “mo money” only brings “mo problems” in the 90s, the old proverb about wealth not equaling happiness has long been passed down from generation to generation.

And it appears it’s a belief that still carries weight in America today, according to a new poll by YouGov.

Live On-Air
Ask Your Smart Speaker to Play W W L
WWL
Listen Now
Now Playing
Now Playing

The research organization asked a thousand parents to choose one of two options for their kids: “Happily married with children but just getting by financially” or “Financially well-off but single with no children in the household.”

Whether it’s because they want their children to share in the fulfillment and happiness they got from being parents or just because they want grandkids, the “married with children but barely making ends meet” option got 60% of the vote.

Only 40% said they’d rather their kids be rich with nothing to tie them down.

Featured Image Photo Credit: Getty Images