NEW YORK (1010 WINS) — Two men have been arrested and charged in the fatal shooting of a 61-year-old woman in the Bronx earlier this week, police announced Friday.
Chief of Detectives James Essig said officers arrested Donald Johnson, 20, who has three priors, without incident on Friday morning. Johnson, who was out on probation, has been charged with second-degree murder, first-degree manslaughter and criminal possession of weapon.
Bloods gang member and Johnson's brother, Rakell Hampton, 33, was also taken into custody and charged with murder. Essig said he has 11 priors.
Hampton was indicted on April 1 for criminal possession of a weapon and was out on bail. Hampton had a scheduled court date on Wednesday.
The "innocent" bystander, Juana Esperanza Soriano De-Perdomo, was caught in the crossfire of a dispute between vendors and Bloods gang members on the street as she exited a bodega she often frequented at 7:05 p.m. on Monday in front of 164 East 188th Street.
De-Perdomo was hit and taken to St. Barnabas Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
The dispute happened between three males, including Hampton and Johnson, and three others, including a clothes vendor at 150 East 188th Street -- where the gunfire rang out.
Essig said authorities believe the vendor is the one who placed a gun in his backpack. Johnson and Hampton brandished a 9-milimeter handgun and as three males fled toward 164 East 188th Street, Johnson allegedly fired his weapon five times, striking De-Perdomo in the back.
The vendor, the intended victim, fled into the subway and the two other intended victims took off in a white SUV.
It's unclear at this time what the dispute was about. Officials said investigators are looking to identify the third person on the shooter's side and the three targets.
"Everyone will be held accountable for their actions," said NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell during Friday's briefing.
An investigation is ongoing.






