NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- The operator of a speedboat that capsized near the Statue of Liberty earlier this month, killing a woman and her infant daughter, was detained by ICE on Wednesday, the Department of Homeland Security said.
According to DHS officials, a Coast Guard investigation confirmed Manuel Hernandez’s “unlawful presence in the United States” and he was detained by immigration enforcement.
Hernandez, 46, is from El Salvador and illegally entered the U.S. through Texas in 2007 by lying to a Customs and Border Protection officer and claiming to be a U.S. citizen, officials said.
Hernandez was previously charged with causing the drowning deaths of 27-year-old Sara Sanchez and 5-month-old Antonella Garcia through misconduct or neglect.
DHS Secretary Markwayne Mullin said in a statement that Hernandez faces deportation after the criminal case plays out.
Federal prosecutors said the boat was illegally chartered, overcrowded and operating with a slew of safety violations when it capsized near Liberty Island on the night of Aug. 8.
The 21-foot Yamaha AR210 had 14 people aboard—well over its 10 person capacity—when it swamped and sank around 10:20 p.m. as Hernandez made a U-turn in choppy waters possibly caused by the wake of a larger vessel.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.




