Skip to content

Condition: Post with Page_List

Listen
Search
Please enter at least 3 characters.

Latest Stories

Wichita man continues fight against city’s back-in parking ban

Cars for Sale: Outdoor Display
A row of cars parked outdoors, showcasing modern automotive design and urban transportation.
Getty Images

A Wichita man’s fight against the city’s ban on back-in parking is continuing, as debate over the ordinance heads toward another city council discussion next month.

According to KWCH, Emilio Martinez received a ticket for backing into a downtown Wichita parking space and has since pushed city leaders to repeal the rule. Martinez said he was told he would likely need to take the citation to trial, calling the process a series of “hoops and hurdles.”


The ordinance, which has been in place since 2008, prohibits drivers from backing into parking stalls across parts of Wichita, including lots at City Hall. City officials originally adopted the rule because of concerns about damage to buildings and infrastructure caused by vehicles backing into spaces.

Wichita City Council member Joseph Shepard said technology like backup cameras has made the ordinance feel outdated and added that city leaders should reduce unnecessary “red tape” for residents. Mayor Lily Wu has also publicly supported repealing the ordinance altogether.

Earlier this month, the Wichita City Council directed staff to draft an ordinance repealing the back-in parking restriction and bring it back for discussion at the June 2 meeting. The council also approved new warning signage and educational notices for first-time offenders.

The issue gained broader attention after reports showed more than 200 tickets had been issued under the ordinance, with some residents and visitors saying they were unaware the rule existed.