The NFL has fined the Dallas Cowboys and New Orleans Saints $500,000 each after their joint practice Tuesday in Oxnard, California, dissolved into multiple fights.
The league confirmed the penalties Thursday. “The Dallas Cowboys and New Orleans Saints have each been fined $500,000 for the actions that took place at the joint practice between the teams earlier this week,” the NFL said in a statement. Officials said the Competition Committee has made sportsmanship at joint practices a point of emphasis and that clubs were reminded by memo before training camp of their duty to prevent unsportsmanlike behavior that could lead to injury.
According to The Athletic and ESPN, about eight fights broke out during the two-hour session at the Cowboys’ training camp. Punches were thrown on both fields. Saints tight end Brock Rechsteiner, the son of WWE Hall of Famer Scott Steiner, body-slammed Cowboys safety Jalen Thompson. Saints center Erik McCoy threw a Cowboys helmet. Cowboys edge rusher Donovan Ezeiruaku and cornerback Caelen Carson were ejected for throwing punches, The Dallas Morning News reported.
Cowboys coach Brian Schottenheimer and Saints coach Kellen Moore discussed ending the practice early. “There’s a discipline element to playing this football game. Unfortunately we didn’t handle that very well today,” Schottenheimer said Tuesday. He later called it “not the way we like to do business.”
Owner and general manager Jerry Jones said Thursday the Cowboys will appeal the “pretty stiff” fine and will also fine individual players involved. “It does make the point that it’s a serious matter,” Jones said.
The Lions and Giants were each fined $200,000 for a similar joint-practice incident in 2024, USA TODAY reported. No serious injuries were reported from Tuesday’s session.
LISTEN on the Audacy App
Tell your Smart Speaker to "PLAY 1080 KRLD"
Sign Up to receive our KRLD Insider Newsletter for more news
Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube





