CAMDEN, N.J. (KYW Newsradio) — The Diocese of Camden has reached a $180 million settlement with survivors of clergy sexual abuse.
The diocese, its parishes and companies that previously insured the diocese will put the money into a trust that will be used to resolve all claims of sexual abuse. The settlement needs bankruptcy court approval.
“For the survivors of South Jersey, this day is long overdue and represents a milestone in their journey toward restored justice and the healing and recognition they have long sought and deserve,” Camden Bishop Joseph Williams said in a statement on Tuesday.
“I am in awe of the fortitude of these survivors, who have waited years to receive compensation for the horrible wrongs they have suffered,” Jeffrey Prol, a partner with Lowenstein Sandler, said in a statement. The law firm represents the Official Committee of Tort Claimant Creditors, which has been looking out for the interests of more than 300 survivors of clergy sexual abuse during the bankruptcy proceedings.
“We are honored to have stood with them throughout this portion of their protracted struggle, and we are hopeful that resolving this bankruptcy case will prove to be a step forward in their personal recovery journeys,” Prol added.
The diocese filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2020 as sexual abuse lawsuits piled up and the pandemic caused financial strain.
The $180 million settlement is a significant increase from the $87.5 million reached in 2024 and far exceeds the $26 million the diocese originally proposed in its 2021 reorganization plan.
Williams, in his statement, thanked the survivors for having the courage to come forward. He said he was “profoundly sorry” and described what happened to them as a “grave sin.”
“There is no greater way to honor the sufferings of those who have been harmed than to work day-in and day-out to make sure that something like this never happens again,” he said.