RIDLEY PARK, Pa. (KYW Newsradio) — Road revitalization projects in the Delaware Valley are getting some much-needed funding.
13 projects are receiving $1.2 million from the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission to help address safety issues.
“The projects create more livable communities throughout greater Philadelphia. They support local planning efforts that lead to more residential, empowerment, and retail growth,” said DVRPC Executive Director Barry Seymour.
Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, and Philadelphia counties will all have at least two projects each funded by the DVRPC.
The commission is putting $150,000 of that money into a safety study of Pennsylvania Route 291 in Delaware County.
“This study will address transportation safety issues all along 291, from Irving Street in Chester City to Darby Creek in Ridley,” said Delaware County Council Vice Chair Elaine Paul Schaefer.
“291 is a regionally significant thoroughfare that provides access to residential, commercial, and industrial areas.”
She said that between 2015 and 2019, there were 355 accidents along 291. 10 of them were fatal.
“Its current design leads to hazards for drivers, for pedestrians, and for cyclists,” she added. “Parts of 291 have little to no shoulders, and in some places, there isn’t a middle turn lane. There are no sidewalks along much of the road, and speeding is a major issue.”
Schaffer said the study will also look at how to incorporate the road into the 3,000-mile East Coast Greenway that goes from Maine to Florida, something she believes will be economically beneficial to the area.
“The long distance multi-use trails totally revitalize communities, and they provide recreation, they provide transportation, and they provide health benefits,” she said.
Officials expect the study to be completed by 2024.
The following is a full list of 13 projects announced Tuesday, all funded by the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission:
Chester County Planning Commission
- Public Transportation Plan Update: Phase Two ($60,000)
City of Philadelphia
- Complete Streets Corridor Study for Aramingo Avenue ($100,000)
- Complete Streets Delivery Program: Phase Two ($100,000)
- Neighborhood Bikeways ($70,000)
- Preliminary Work for the Comprehensive Plan ($100,000)
Delaware County Planning Department
- Route 291 Road Diet Study ($150,000)
Delaware County Transportation Management Association
- Chester Pike Corridor Multi Modal Improvement Study ($125,000)
Greater Valley Forge Transportation Management Association
- Community Mobility Hub Feasibility Study ($65,000)
Lower Salford Township
- Feasibility Study for Walkable Lederach ($100,000)
- Multimodal Improvement Plan ($85,000)
- Safety and Walkability Review for Multimodal Improvements ($65,000)
Norristown, Municipality of
- Redevelopment Area Transportation Study ($80,000)
- SALDO and Zoning Update ($100,000)