Buffalo, NY (WBEN) - Charges against local activist Myles Carter have been dismissed.
Carter was tackled from behind by police while being interviewed by a Channel 4 news crew on Bailey Avenue early in the morning on June 1. A video clip of the arrest soon went viral.
The 30 year old had been charged with Obstructing Governmental Administration and Disorderly Conduct.
"Today, the Erie County District Attorney’s Office dismissed the charges against Mr. Carter because the charges, which were facially insufficient, were unsupported by the information provided by law enforcement," said a statement from District Attorney John Flynn. "Specifically, the conduct alleged in the complaints was not supported by defendant’s actual described conduct."
The incident with Carter happened moments before an SUV drove through the police line on Bailey Avenue, injuring three officers.
Carter did not say whether he was injured or what his current health status is because he is planning a civil lawsuit against the City of Buffalo.
He continues to plan his advocacy for police reform.
"People in Buffalo are fed up with this narrative that we don't have issues that exist in our own community," Carter said. "Our elected officials are quite often deflecting to national news and saying these are problems that exist in other communities. No, these are problems that exist in our community."