Skip to content

Condition: Post with Page_List

Listen
Search
Please enter at least 3 characters.

Latest Stories

SAE International Cancels World Congress In Detroit

TCF Center
© Melanie Maxwell, Detroit Free Press, Detroit Free Press via Imagn Content Services, LLC

DETROIT (WWJ) -- A major event in the auto industry has been canceled amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

SAE International announced Sunday morning they have canceled the WCX 2020 World Congress Experience, which was originally scheduled for April 21-23 at the TCF Center in Detroit.


Officials say they have been monitoring the situation and followed the guidance of health officials and travel restrictions.

Earlier this week, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer declared a state of emergency amid the outbreak and on Thursday signed an executive order banning gatherings of more than 250 people.

"WCX has long been the marquee industry event for showcasing technological innovations in the world of mobility, and we are currently evaluating alternate options for how to best deliver the technical content that has been developed to registered attendees. We remain firmly committed to prioritizing the health and safety of our members, customers, partners and staff who are attending our events, and apologize for any inconvenience this cancellation has caused," SAE International officials said in a statement. 

The event is not being rescheduled, but organizers are exploring the possibility of a virtual online event.

"This is an event that had always put a lot of money into the Detroit economy in terms of hotels and restaurants," WWJ Auto Beat Reporter Jeff Gilbert said.

More than 9,000 engineering industry professionals attended the 2019 World Congress, according to SAE International's website.