Skip to content

Condition: Post with Page_List

Listen
Search
Please enter at least 3 characters.

Latest Stories

2 Ann Arbor store clerks injured after confronting man caught eating food off shelves

A pair of employees were injured and one man is facing assault charges after a physical altercation broke out at a downtown convenience store last week.
Getty

ANN ARBOR (WWJ) - A pair of employees were injured and one man is facing assault charges after a physical altercation broke out at a downtown convenience store last week.

The Ann Arbor Police Department said they were called to the Main Street Party Store at 201 N. Main Street around 2 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 29 after an assault was reported.


When police arrived at the scene, they found two store employees restraining a 54-year-old Ann Arbor man on the ground.

According to their investigation, an altercation between the three individuals occurred after the man walked into the store and began opening food items and eating them.

The employees, ages 36 and 57, told the man he needed to leave, but the man lashed out at the clerks, punching the 57-year-old several times and attempted to grab an aluminum baseball bat behind the counter.

The younger worker was able to wrestle the man to the ground and restrained him waited until police arrived.

The department said both clerks had sustained minor injuries in the incident. Both refused medical treatment at the scene.

The man was arrested and taken to the Washtenaw County Jail. He now faces one charge of assault and battery.