Skip to content

Condition: Post with Page_List

Listen
Search
Please enter at least 3 characters.

Latest Stories

All charges now dropped against vision specialist who had been accused of sexually assaulting girls at Metro Detroit schools

Glasses and eye exam
Getty Images

WESTLAND (WWJ) – All charges against a vision specialist accused of sexually assaulting young girls at Metro Detroit schools have now been dropped.

A week after dismissing charges out of Garden City against James Baird, Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy announced Wednesday the remaining charges against him have also been dismissed.


Baird, 44, of Plymouth, was charged back in February with sexually assaulting a girl who was 10 years old in 2018 and an 11-year-old girl in 2020 at two separate schools in Westland.

Prosecutors had alleged the assaults happened while Baird was working as a school vision specialist at Marshall Elementary School and Stevenson Middle School.

Worthy said Wednesday additional investigation her office has requested from the Westland Police Department was "crucial to the decision" in the case.

"We are certain that dismissing these charges was warranted. It is the right thing to do," Worthy said, per a press release. We have no further comment, as there is pending civil litigation in connection with these matters."

Last Wednesday two similar cases involving two then-8-year-old girls in Garden City were also dismissed. Worthy also said at the time "it was the right thing to do."

In the Westland cases, two counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct and one count of second-degree CSC were dismissed without prejudice by visiting Judge Randy Kalmbach.