(WWJ) An armed standoff stretching more than a day has ended peacefully with an arrest in the Ann Arbor area.
After nearly 36 hours of negotiations, the 32-year-old suspect put down his weapons, walked out the front door of his parents' home on Meadow Drive in Superior Township and surrendered at around 4 p.m. Thursday.
Washtenaw County Metro SWAT, with the assistance of the Crisis Negotiation Team, took the subject into custody without incident.
The situation unfolded at about 4:30 a.m. Wednesday when deputies responded to a call from family who said a man with a gun was suffering a mental health crisis and had assaulted his parents.
Neighbors were told to shelter in place while police dealt with the gunman, who refused to come out of the house.
The suspect was said to be heavily armed, wearing a flak jacket, and had multiple magazines strapped to his body. Although no one was injured, reports were made that the man had fired his weapon before police arrived on the scene.
Responding deputies were able to safely evacuate family members from the house, but the man barricaded himself inside.
Sheriff's office spokesman Derrick Jackson said local residents should expect to continue to see a large police presence in the area, although neighbors are now free to leave their homes or return to their homes if they were previously evacuated. However, areas of the neighborhood will remain locked down for several more hours as investigators process the scene.
"The Washtenaw County Sheriff's Office would like to thank our Crisis Negotiators, SWAT team members, Deputies, Officers from numerous police and fire agencies, medical personnel, and support staff for their tireless work in bringing this situation to a peaceful resolution," Jackson added, in a statement. "We would also like to acknowledge the many family members, friends, and neighbors who assisted."
The suspect's name has not been released, with expected charges pending.


