Skip to content

Condition: Post with Page_List

Listen
Search
Please enter at least 3 characters.

Latest Stories

Detroit man convicted of 2022 mass shooting that killed 2, injured 6 after dispute over parking

Stock photo of gavel and handcuffs
Getty Images

DETROIT (WWJ) — Two years to the day that he opened fire on a crowd of people in the midst of a parking dispute, a Detroit man has been convicted of murder, attempted murder and other weapons charges.

A jury on Wednesday found Winston Kirtley, Jr., guilty of the July 31, 2022 shooting on Detroit's west side that left two people dead and six others injured.


Detroit police were called to a home on Coyle Street — near Plymouth and Greenfield Roads — around 2:45 a.m. that morning after getting calls regarding shooting. When officers showed up they found eight people suffering from gunshot wounds.

Police officials said at the time that Kirtley — who has a military background and had 11 weapons inside his home — came out of his house and fired shots at the group of people when an argument over parking escalated.

Officials said in 2022 that a car was blocking Kirtley's driveway while attending a neighbor's birthday party.

"I have always known that at times the most trivial events can cause the heaviest damage. The alleged motive here is way beyond the pale and has now changed lives forever," Prosecutor Kym Worthy in a press release following Wednesday's conviction. "It is clear and has been clear for some time that absolutely nothing is sacred when it comes to gun violence these days. It is also apparent that there is little political will to control the mechanisms behind it."

Toyake Thirkeild, 39, and 38-year-old Andre Willis were killed in the mass shooting. A 40-year-old man, a 39-year-old woman, a 35-year-old woman, a 35-year-old man, a 32-year-old woman and a 19-year-old man were injured in the shooting. All of the victims were from Detroit.

Kirtley had been charged with two counts of first-degree murder, six counts of assault with intent to murder, two counts of discharge at a building and 10 counts of felony firearm. The prosecutor's office announced Wednesday he was found guilty as charged.

Kirtley is scheduled to be sentenced on Sept. 4.

More on today's top stories: