DETROIT (WWJ) - Troopers are trying to track down a shooting suspect who allegedly open fired on a driver while on a Detroit freeway late Thursday evening.
Michigan State Police closed a section of I-96 just east of Outer Drive for several hours overnight to investigate the freeway shooting reported around 9:30 p.m. on Sept. 14.
According to troopers, a man called 911 and said his truck had been struck by gunfire while he was driving.
The man couldn't provide much information other than the suspect vehicle was a possibly silver colored Chevy SUV that continued onto the local lanes of I-96 after the incident.
He was unable to get a license plate number.
When troopers arrived at his location they found damage to the passenger side window where an evidence technician later recovered a bullet.
“We are lucky no one was hurt in this incident.” MSP 1st Lt. Mike Shaw said in a 9 a.m. update on Friday. "While we do not know the circumstances around this assault, we do know that the suspect fired a gun on a roadway without any regard of where that bullet ended up."
Anyone with any information about the incident has been asked to call 855.MICH.TIP. Tipster who wish to remain 100% anonymous can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800.SPEAK.UP (773-2587).