(WWJ) Michigan's Attorney General is looking into alleged violent threats made against members of the Wayne County Boats of Canvassers.
AG Dana Nessel confirmed Tuesday that her department is "actively investigating" reports of threats made against board members, who said they were targeted by people unhappy with their initial refusal to certify election results in the county.
So far, no suspects in the case have been named, and no charges have been filed.
Nessel said in a statement:
"We will investigate any credible complaints of threats to government officials, elected or appointed, and will prosecute criminal conduct to the fullest extent of the law. Serving the people – regardless of party – is an honorable but sometimes difficult and thankless task. And while many of us have been subjected to hateful and often obscene insults, threats of violence and harm will not be tolerated."
Nessel's Criminal Investigations Division initiated its investigation shortly after last week's Board of Canvassers meeting, the AG's office said.
This comes after Board of Canvassers Chair Monica Palmer, a Republican, said she's received texts with graphic photos, and that her family is afraid for their lives.
Palmer said it was "heartbreaking" to be accused of racism for her willingness to certify the election in the suburbs by not in Detroit, and that she changed her vote under immense pressure from the public. "It was not easy to sit there and listen to all of the threats on the zoom call and on social media," Palmer added.
Palmer told WWJ's Jon Hewett that, following last Tuesday's meeting, "My husband called and told me to get home; he was fearful for my safety."
Anyone with a specific complaint related to election fraud, misinformation or threats against public officials can report them by email to the Attorney General's office at miag@michigan.gov .


