ECORSE (WWJ) -- The former Ecorse chief of police is claiming he was suddenly fired in the middle of a whistleblowing investigation that involved police and city officials.
Dr. Joseph Thomas, who became Ecorse Public Safety Director in October of 2020, was voted out of office in a 5-2 vote by city council on May 4 while he was out of town.
The veteran police official had been conducting an investigation related to stolen cars and how they were being handled by the city, alleging that certain people had been profiting off of the vehicles.
Thomas's attorney Leonard Mungo told ClickOnDetroit.com that the investigation was causing conflict between his client and officials at City Hall, which led to Thomas filing a whistleblower lawsuit in Wayne County Circuit Court.
"No initiatives were taken to remove or even suggest that Dr. Thomas should be removed as director of public safety for Ecorse until January after the whistle was blown," Mungo said in a statement. "That's when all the adverse action begins to take place."
Joining Thomas in the lawsuit are two other former Ecorse city officials: Richard Marsh, former city administrator, and Mark Ragsdale, former director of public works.
Each are seeking a reported $1.5 million in damages.






