Skip to content

Condition: Post with Page_List

Listen
Search
Please enter at least 3 characters.

Latest Stories

Down 'a significant number of players' due to COVID-19, Michigan cancels Iowa game

The season is over for Michigan football.

Due to ongoing COVID-19 issues, the team announced Tuesday that its final game this Saturday against No. 18 Iowa has been canceled. It's the third straight cancelation for the Wolverines.


"In accordance with the Big Ten COVID-19 medical policies and health guidelines, we are without a significant number of players for this week's game," said athletic director Warde Manuel. "Couple that with the normal attrition due to injury, and we do not have enough available players at multiple position groups to field a team at Iowa. We have more student-athletes out this week compared to last week and the week prior."

The Wolverines finish the year 2-4, their fewest number of wins since they went 2-7 in 1962. They also finish winless at home for the first time ever, excluding their inaugural season when they only played on the road. It's the first sub-.500 season of the Jim Harbaugh era.

Asked Tuesday on the Stoney & Jansen Show if he considers this season a disappointment, Harbaugh stood behind his players.

"Been most impressed with how they’ve handled themselves, how they’ve handled a lot of the adversity. I think it’s made them stronger, I think they’ve grown. That serves them well now and going forward," he said.

Attention now shifts to Harbaugh's contract situation, with Harbaugh set to meet with Manuel in the next few days about his long-term future in Ann Arbor.