Investigators honing in on possible stadium vandal suspect

Focus is on workers from a Feb. 15 shift
Damage focused on four luxury suites.
Last weekend's vandalism to Highmark Stadium caused at least $150,000 in damages. Photo credit Jim Fink/WBEN

Orchard Park, N.Y. (WBEN) - Investigators said they may have a suspect identified in last week's - and other earlier vandalism attacks - on new Highmark Stadium.

And, the identification of the possible suspect comes as work resumed Friday morning on the $2.2 billion new Orchard Park home of the Buffalo Bills.

Some 1,500 workers came back to the Abbott Road construction after the project was paused for four days as the investigation got underway and new security measures were added - including additional activated cameras and more security personnel.

"One or two people have put this project under a bad light," said Bill Geary, Erie County Public Works Commissioner.

But, before work commenced, leaders from the Gilbane/Turner construction team had a private meeting with the crews explaining the situation and reinforcing that any form of vandalism was not acceptable and anyone caught defacing the stadium could face criminal charges.

"It is disheartening," said Denise Abbott, Western New York Area Labor Federation AFL-CIO president.

Geary said in the latest attack, discovered in the early morning hours of Feb. 16, four luxury suites in the stadium's 200 level on the west side suffered the bulk of the damage with an oil-based spray paint landing on newly-installed granite and marble countertops, tiling and appliances.

The graffiti was described as graphic and pornographic.

Other parts of the stadium also suffered some damage including portions of the locker rooms.

Geary pegged the damage at $150,000, much of which will be covered by insurance policies that Gilbane and Turner took out before the construction began.

"The bigger issue is that we now have to re-do what was mostly completed," Geary said.

To help garner key bits of information, Gilbane/Turner - on Feb. 18 - offered a $100,000 reward if it led to an arrest and conviction. That spurred a flood of information that investigators continue to sift through.

The bulk of the investigation is focusing on 300 people who worked the Feb. 15 second shift. The investigation is being handled by the Erie County Sheriff's Department.

"I think they narrowed it down even further," Geary said.

Even with the four-day pause, Geary is confident the stadium will be football and fan-ready by this summer.

The stadium was more than 87% complete before the pause took place.

"There's no reason to think it won't be ready," Geary said.

Featured Image Photo Credit: Jim Fink - WBEN