NEW YORK (WCBS 880) — Transit advocates took to the street in lower Manhattan Monday to protest against the 14th Street busway delay.
Over the weekend, a judge blocked the plan to limit parts of 14th Street to bus traffic during the L train partial shutdown. The plan was to make the street between Third and Ninth avenues a less congested corridor for buses, and to provide a faster commute for those taking the M14 bus during the L train repairs.
The new M14 select bus service did begin as scheduled on July 1, but some say it doesn’t help commuters get to where they need to go any faster.
“Today, you could've been hoping on a bus that would've gotten you to work a lot quicker, a lot faster and today instead, you’re stuck in the same old M14 traffic,” said City Councilman Keith Powers, who represents Stuyvesant Town.
The plan was blocked when a group of people living in the surrounding area sued the city claiming no environmental review was done on how the neighborhood would be affected by banning most car traffic on 14th Street.
A state Supreme Court judge ruled the Department of Transportation must conduct an environmental review before the new busway can begin.
Powers on Monday urged residents to drop the suit along with Danny Pearlstein of the Riders Alliance.
“The city has been studying a truck and bus way here in one form or another for near on four years. They've has hundreds of community meetings. So when they tell you it’s arbitrary and capricious, they're full of it,” he said.
The DOT previously called the decision disappointing, saying it will impact thousands of bus riders every day.