Denzel Mims’ sophomore season ended with far less promise than his rookie campaign, but Jets head coach Robert Saleh says the former second-round pick is already looking much more like his 2020 self.
“Denzel is doing better,” Saleh told reporters on Wednesday. “Second time around, he’s in fantastic shape, looks really good.”
Mims didn’t play in two of the first three games of New York’s season last year, with coaches pointing to injury and illness in the offseason that set him back as far as preparation. Once he did take the field, costly penalties and a lack of production highlighted a disappointing season where he caught just eight passes. But now, Saleh says Mims is much better off now than at this point last year, which could provide a big boost for a Jets receiving core that already added Garrett Wilson with the 10th overall pick.
“He’s working on the things we’ve asked him to work on in regards to the catch point, contested balls, and obviously grasping the offense,” Saleh said.
“The whole organization has work to do in terms of reaching the point where we’re not thinking about what we’re being asked to do, but he’s a lot further along today than he was a year ago.”
Follow Ryan Chichester on Twitter: @ryanchichester1
Follow WFAN on Social Media
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Twitch
Listen live to WFAN:
Audacy App | Online Stream | Smart Speaker (just say ‘Play W-F-A-N’)


