Skip to content

Condition: Post with Page_List

Listen
Search
Please enter at least 3 characters.

Latest Stories

Michigan State's Khary Crump sentenced to 12 months probation for Big House tunnel fight

football on field
Getty Images

(WWJ) Michigan State defensive back Khary Crump will not serve any jail time on an assault charge in connection with fights in the tunnel at Michigan Stadium, after the Michigan-Michigan State football game.

Crump Tuesday morning was sentenced to 12 months probation and 80 hours of community service by Judge Miriam Perry, in Ann Arbor's 15th District Court.


During the incident Crump was seen swinging is helmet at Wolverines defensive back Gemon Green.

Crump reached a plea deal earlier this month, with prosecutors agreeing to drop a felony charge of assault with a dangerous weapon in exchange for two misdemeanors: assault and battery and a disorderly conduct charge.

"You've kind of had to reevaluate everything," Judge Perry said, addressing Crump in the courtroom Tuesday. "When I look at your circumstances, you've been suspended, you're not able to practice, so you on your own have to just focus in on yourself, focus in on the things you can do. You've accepted responsibility, and that is good."

Crump was sentenced under the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act, which means his record will be wiped clean as long as he successfully completes probation. In addition, court records regarding this case will be sealed.

As for football, the Big Ten suspended Crump for the first eight games of next season. He will be eligible to return in November.

"I had difficulties trying to stomach my actions...on that fateful day but it happened, I can't take it back," said Crump, speaking after the hearing. "Honestly, I'm just looking forward to wuppin' some maize and blue in the future, on the football field, of course."

Crump was one of seven Michigan State players charged in connection with what was dubbed "Brawl at the Big House" on Oct. 29, but he was the only one charged with a felony.

Four more MSU players facing misdemeanor aggravated assault charges are expected to have their cases dismissed, according to their attorneys, as part of a pre-plea diversionary program.