Skip to content

Condition: Post with Page_List

Listen
Search
Please enter at least 3 characters.

Latest Stories

Man fatally struck by car after tripping while running across I-96 in Detroit when vehicle ran out of gas

A 40-year-old man is dead after authorities say he was struck by a car while running across I-96 in Detroit after his vehicle run out of gas late Tuesday evening.
Stock photo - Car on empty
Getty

DETROIT (WWJ) - A 40-year-old man is dead after authorities say he was struck by a car while running across I-96 in Detroit after his vehicle run out of gas late Tuesday evening.

According to Michigan State Police, a 911 call was made just after 10 p.m. that reported a crash in an eastbound lane of I-96 near I-75 in Detroit.


Troopers were dispatched to the scene where they discovered a 40-year-old pedestrian man from Woodhaven that had been struck by a vehicle.

He was rushed to an area hospital, but was pronounced dead when he arrived.

Based on a preliminary investigation by MSP, the victim had been driving on the freeway when he ran out of gas. The man left the vehicle on the side of the road and went for fuel.

Witnesses to the crash told investigators that the man was headed back to his car when he attempted to run across the freeway.

The man tripped, witnesses said, and he was hit by an oncoming car.

The driver who struck the man stopped at the scene and is cooperating with MSP's investigation. No other details were released.

First Lt. Mike Shaw with MSP warned drivers that walking on the freeway is very dangerous and advised everyone who needs to pull over to remain in their vehicle.

"It is important to remember that if you are involved in a crash or break down on the freeway to stay in your car with your seatbelt fastened." Shaw added. "Call 911 and help will be sent to you. It is very dangerous to walk on the freeway, especially at night."