The New Orleans Saints have spent much of the week preparing for a matchup with the Panthers without the services of several offensive coaches and other personnel due to COVID protocols, and that will also be the case when they take the field in Carolina, the team announced Friday afternoon.
Head coach Sean Payton said in order for those coaches to make the trip with the team they'd have to have tested negative for COVID-19 twice before Sunday. That was not the case, meaning the seven coaches listed below will not make the trip with the team.
- Offensive analyst Jim Chaney
- Offensive assistant Declan Doyle
- Senior offensive assistant/WRs coach Curtis Johnson
- Assistant special teams coach Phil Galiano
- Run game coordinator/TEs coach Dan Roushar
- Offensive line coach Brendan Nugent
- Running backs coach Joel Thomas
The position coach and coordinator responsibilities will be divided amongst the staff, which has been the case throughout the week. One assistant coach taking on a new role is former Saints offensive lineman Jermon Bushrod, who stepped in as tight ends coach.
Payton said prep for the Panthers had gone smoothly despite the absences.
"It's not always what you're used to. ... But I think overall it's gone as well as can be expected," Payton said Friday morning.