An underwater search for a 4-year-old boy missing in a canal in Jean Laffitte National Park now ends but the search for the boy continues says Jefferson Parish Sheriff Joe Lopinto.
“The active underwater search, I would say, has been called off,” Lopinto said Wednesday.
Ellis Baudean went missing in the park last week. He was last seen in the water of the canal.
The search now focuses on the surface and other areas in the park. This comes after exhaustive efforts to search underwater using divers and remote-controlled vehicles.
Search crews even attempted to build a temporary clay dam and then pump the water out, but the dam collapsed and ended the effort.