Skip to content

Condition: Post with Page_List

Listen
Search
Please enter at least 3 characters.

Latest Stories

Garden City Man Allegedly Ran Down 3 Women With His Car, Killing 2 Of Them

Lawrence Mills
Lawrence Mills (Booking photo)

(WWJ) It's an increasingly disturbing set of allegations. A Garden City man stands accused of intentionally running down three Detroit women with his car, killing two of them. 

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy on Wednesday charged 32-year-old Lawrence Paul Mills, III, with assault with intent to murder and assault/assault and battery of a pregnant individual.


All of the alleged crimes took place in 2017, according to prosecutors. 

In this latest case to be filed, the victim was a 29-year-old Detroit woman who survived the incident. At around 2:30 a.m. on December 22, 2017, it's alleged that Mills assaulted the then-pregnant victim, struck her with his vehicle multiple times and then drove away from the scene. The victim managed to get to a home in the 700 block of Campbell Street, where EMS and police were called, and she was taken to a hospital for treatment. An investigation into that case and two similar cases by the Detroit Police Department spanned over several years, leading to the arrest of Mills on April 24, 2020. 

"This is the third case where we have charged this defendant. The alleged conduct of Mr. Mills is deeply concerning," said Worthy, in a statement. "I applaud the Detroit Police Department investigators for the excellent work and for staying the course on these 2017 cases."

In another case, Mills was arraigned 36th District Court last week on charges of first degree murder and assault on a pregnant individual causing miscarriage/stillbirth. 

In that case it's alleged that Mills deliberately hit a 34-year-old Detroit woman with his car in the area of Casper and Cypress Streets early in the morning of October 16, 2017. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene,  authorities said, and it was determined that she died from multiple injuries.

Mills was also previously charged with first degree murder in the December 13, 2017 death of a 59-year-old Detroit woman.

Early that morning, Detroit police and EMS were dispatched to the area of Anthon and Campbell Streets where the found victim's lifeless body lying between the street and the sidewalk. She was pronounced deceased at the scene, and it was determined that she died from multiple injuries, authorities said.

Prosecutors have not publicly discussed a motive or other circumstances surrounding the distributing allegations, and it's unclear at this time how Mills knew or chose his alleged victims. Worth's office said further details of the case will be presented during further court proceedings. 

Mills' next court appearance, an arraignment on the latest charges in 38th District Court, is set for 10 a.m. Friday.