At least 4 more migrants from Pilsen shelter hospitalized, one day after 5-year-old boy dies

CHICAGO (WBBM NEWSRADIO) - Conditions inside the migrant shelter in Pilsen where a five-year-old boy was staying before he died on Sunday are getting a lot of attention.

Monday, five more people from the shelter were  taken to hospitals.

The Fire Department took a 1-year-old girl from the shelter near Cermak and Halsted to the hospital with fevers, as well as a 4-year-old, 8-year-old, and 18-year-old.

The Cook County Medical Examiner report that was just released this morning still lists the cause of death for 5-year-old Jean Carlos Martinez as pending. Initial reports said he had a seizure and had been suffering from a fever the day before.

The City-run shelter that hosts some 2,300 new arrivals has seen outbreaks of the chicken pox, flu and viruses recently.

Mayor Brandon Johnson angrily told reporters Monday that they’re showing up sick.

Listen to our new podcast Looped In: Chicago
Listen to WBBM Newsradio now on Audacy!
Sign up and follow WBBM Newsradio
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Featured Image Photo Credit: CBS-2 Chicago