Skip to content

Condition: Post with Page_List

Listen
Search
Please enter at least 3 characters.

Latest Stories

Coronavirus In Michigan: What You Need To Know On Wednesday, April 1

Here are latest developments in the coronavirus outbreak in Michigan on Wednesday, April 1, 2020: 

-- As of today, Michigan has 9,334 confirmed cases of the virus, with a total of 337 related deaths statewide. The official count, reported by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services Wednesday, includes 1,719 new cases and 78 additional deaths. The metro Detroit area — including the City of Detroit and Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties — continues to be the hardest-hit region of the state.  CASES BY COUNTY 


-- As more tests are being administered every day, the number of Michiganders testing negative for the virus continues to grow. So far, 22,054 out of 29,324 tests administered were negative. (Note: The state says counts of specimens tested positive will not equal number of people with COVID-19. People may have more than one test or may have had their test from an out of state lab.)

-- Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has formally declared a state of disaster in Michigan and is asking the state legislature to extend the state of emergency by 70 days. Her latest executive order does not extend her "Stay Home, Stay Safe" order, but if lawmakers approve her request, she could do so at a later date. READ MORE HERE

-- Detroit is offering drive-up coronavirus testing by the hundreds. But for some, getting access to those tests is nearly impossible. Some residents are being turned away at the Michigan State Fairgrounds for free COVID-19 testing because they can't get a prescription, says Rep. Sherry Gay-Dagnago. GET DETAILS HERE

-- Mayor Sheldon Neeley says the city of Flint will be under a nightly curfew for the next 30 days. The curfew, which will last 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., is an effort to slow the spread of the virus, urging residents to stay at home. READ MORE HERE

-- Michigan State Police say joyriding on your motorcycle or in your car, or taking a drive to just to "clear your head" are NOT permitted under the governor's "Stay Home, Stay Safe" order. READ MORE HERE.

-- Work continues to set up a 1,000-bed field hospital at TCF Center, formerly known as Cobo, in downtown Detroit. Dozens of workers are assembling structures for the bed spaces on two floors, each of which are separated by plastic partitioning. HVAC systems are also being prepared to create negative air pressure to prevent cross-contamination. The facility could be completed before the target date of April 8. GET DETAILS HERE

-- The coronavirus has turned up in the Macomb County Jail. Sheriff Anthony Wickersham says an inmate at the jail, in Mount Clemens, has tested positive for COVID-19. GET DETAILS HERE

-- For the second time in two weeks, Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel has issued a letter to Menards regarding improper business practices during the pandemic. The AG's office says the home improvement store has been using "opportunistic" practices such as marketing and sales designed to entice customers to the store, despite the governor's Stay Home, Stay Safe order. Last week, Menards was warned about price gouging on items like bleach and face masks. FULL DETAILS HERE

-- Due to significantly reduced use, starting today, the Detroit People Mover will be suspending service at 6 p.m. This is until further notice. 

-- The ongoing coronavirus crisis has led National Coney Island to close all of its locations until further notice. The chain's President and CEO Tom Giftos says they tried their best to keep the doors open, however, as the public health situation worsens and in consideration for the well-being of their staff and customers alike, they have decided to close.  

-- Kroger says it will provide all hourly frontline grocery, supply chain, manufacturing, pharmacy and call center associates with a Hero Bonus – a $2 premium above their standard base rate of pay, applied to hours worked March 29 through April 18. The premium will be disbursed weekly to ensure associates have access to additional cash. The Hero Bonus is in addition to a previously announced one-time bonus to frontline associates, which pays out on April 3.

-- Michigan's Attorney General has denied a request from JoAnn Fabrics for its stores to remain open during the Stay Home, Stay Safe executive order. The retailer argued it was an essential business because it provides raw materials to make face masks, face shields and hospital scrubs and gowns. Because the state disagreed, saying the company can still sell these items online and ship to customers. GET DETAILS HERE

-- The annual Hash Bash in Ann Arbor is going digital this weekend. The COVID-19 pandemic has prevented gathering on the Diag at University of Michigan, so the cannabis freedom rally will now take place virtually instead. The online event kicks off at noon on Saturday April 4. GET DETAILS HERE

-- The three main symptoms of coronavirus are fever, cough and shortness of breath. In order to mitigate risk of spreading COVID-19, everyone is encouraged to take action to reduce the spread, including: wash your hands often with soap and water or use hand sanitizer; avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands; cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing; avoid handshakes; avoid contact with people who are sick; and stay home when you are sick. Officials are urging social distancing -- staying at least six feet away from other people -- to help flatten the curve.

This is a rapidly evolving situation. Stay tuned to WWJ Newsradio 950 where we will remain live, local and committed to bringing you the latest information during this outbreak. >>LISTEN LIVE!